’Bolganup’ may be derived from the Nyungar. The original Bolganup grant was issued in 1867 to John McKail. Bolganup Homestead was constructed over the years. The guest house was started by Lizzie and Gilbert Faulkner in the 1920s and buildings were added as demand grew.
During the second world war it closed as the sons enlisted and the daughters left. Plans were made for it to be taken over as a hospital in the event of an invasion. The guest house never re-opened after the war as Gilbert had died and Lizzie handed over to the eldest son, Harry. Harry and Gwendoline brought up their family, Annette, Kingsley, Sharon and Russell here with Lizzie living in the Fernbrook and Burnley section until she died in 1955.
Bolganup is still very much a Faulkner family farm as Kingsley and Kathleen Faulkner and their children own it and Sharon (Faulkner) and Bill Bird manage it and we all enjoy sharing this special part of the world with our guests.